Posts tagged parmesan cheese
Recipe: Dinosaur BBQ Macaroni & Cheese Shepard’s Pie
Another fantastic recipe from the Dinosaur BBQ! This one combines two favorite comfort foods in one dish- what could be bad about that?
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 pound small pasta shells
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1¼ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- ¾ cup Dinosaur BBQ Sensuous Slathering Sauce
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2½ cups half-and-half, OR milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add two tablespoons of salt and stir in the pasta shells. Cook until al dente, drain and set aside.
- THROW a skillet on medium heat and swirl in the vegetable oil. Add half the onions and half the peppers, cooking them until soft. Toss in the garlic and cook for one minute more. Dump in the ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon, and cook it with the veggies until it loses it’s pinkness. Season with 1½ teaspoons each of the salt and pepper. Mix in the BBQ sauce and remove pan from heat.
- MELT the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and fry up the rest of the onions and the peppers until soft. Add the flour and whisk like crazy til very well blended. Slowly dribble in the half and half or milk, whisking as you go. When the mixture bubbles and thickens, remove it from the heat. Stir in two cups of the Cheddar, the Parmigiano-Reggiano, mustard, and the remaining 1½ teaspoons each of salt and pepper. Spice the sauce up with Tabasco to your liking. Stir til the cheeses are melted, then fold the cheese sauce in to the pasta shells and set aside.
- GREASE up a 9×13” baking pan. Spread the ground beef mixture in the pan, and then spread the mac’n’cheese over it. Top everything with the last cup of cheddar and pop it in preheated oven to bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the cheese sauce bubbles. Let the dish rest 15 minutes before serving if people can wait that long to eat it.
I strongly recommend that you use Dinosaur BBQ Sensuous Slathering Sauce for the BBQ Sauce. It’s one of the best BBQ sauces out there, made with real sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup and it’s low in sodium (for BBQ sauce).
Number of servings (yield): 8
Inspired By: Dinosaur BBQ Macaroni & Cheese Shepard’s Pie
Recipe: Garlic Scape Pesto
This year we received garlic scapes from our farm share and we had no idea what to do with them. They make a great pesto which is good on pasta or as a bread dip, but my favorite is as a pizza sauce.
- 2 cups garlic scapes, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cups pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- Place the the scapes, parmesan, oil, salt, pepper and nuts into a blender.
- Pulse to chop and mix ingredients. Stop slightly before desired consistency.
- Sample and adjust ingredients to your tastes. Extra oil can be added to create a thinner pesto.
- Store pesto in refrigerator with plastic wrap touching pesto to slow down oxidation. Pesto will last for a couple days in the refrigerator or may be frozen for a couple months.
A food processor may also be used, but I find a blender easier and less likely to leak and create a mess.
Cooking time (duration): 15 min
Inspired By: Garlic Scape Pesto