Posts tagged mediterranean
Recipe: Chickpea Salad
Feta cheese and chickpeas lend a Mediterranean flair to this satisfying side salad.
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled, seeded and diced cucumber
- 2 cups halved grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To prepare dressing: Wisk together garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- To prepare salad: Combine chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese and onion in a medium bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Inspired By: Chickpea Salad
Recipe: Mediterranean Chicken Couscous
No pots and pans are required for this easy, no-mess Mediterranean recipe. Simply use a glass measuring cup to heat the broth in the microwave, place dry couscous in the serving bowl, and then add the broth. Once the remaining ingredients are stirred in, the dish is ready to serve.
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (5.6-ounce) package toasted pine nut couscous mix
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (about 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 (4-ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
- Heat broth and seasoning packet from couscous in the microwave on HIGH for 3 to 5 minutes or until broth begins to boil. Place couscous in a large bowl, and stir in broth mixture. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork; stir in chicken and next 6 ingredients. Serve warm or cold. Garnish, if desired.
Tip: You’ll need to buy a 2/3-ounce package of fresh basil and 1 rotisserie chicken to get the right amount of basil and chicken for this recipe. Substitute 4 teaspoons of dried basil if you can’t find fresh.
Cooking time (duration): 25 min
Number of servings (yield): 8