Posts tagged egg
Recipe: Zucchini Crustless Quiche
This recipe was handed down to me by my Grandmother.
- 3 small zucchini, diced (about 20 oz)
- 8 oz diced mozzarella (or 4 oz mozzarella and 4 oz firm tofu)
- 1.5 oz pecorino-romano shredded cheese
- 4 eggs (or 2 eggs and 1/2 cup egg beaters)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. Center should be set and top should be brown.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe: Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs
- 6 eggs
- Bring ½ inch water to boil.
- Lower one to six eggs into the water.
- Cover pan and cook for 6 ½ minutes.
- Run cold water into the pan for 30 seconds.
Preparation time: 1 minute(s)
Cooking time: 7 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3
Recipe: Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
This simple method of hard boiling an egg makes it very difficult to overcook the egg and end up with a dark grey/green yolk.
- 6 eggs (more or less is okay)
- Place a single layer of eggs in pan and fill pan with cold water making sure that the water extends one inch above the eggs.
- Cover pan and bring water to a boils.
- When the water boils, turn off the heat and keep covered for 12 minutes. If you have an electric burned, move the pan to a cold burner.
- After 18 minutes, cool eggs under cold water. Peel eggs and store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or store for up to 5 days in the shell.
Fresh eggs are very difficult to peel. Its best to use eggs that have been sitting in your refrigerator for a week.
I place the probe of an oven thermeter in the water and set the alarm for 210F so that I know when the water boils. Make sure that the tip is in the water and not touching the side or bottom of the pan.
When I started cooking these eggs, I kept them in for 18 minutes. I’ve slowly lowered the cooking time to my current 12 minutes. The yolk is a lot less dry and creamer. I may try 11 minutes, but right around 11 or 12 is the sweet spot.
Cooking time (duration): 20 min