Posts tagged buffalo
Recipe: Buffalo Turkey Burger with Blue Cheese Slaw
If you’re a buffalo wing fan, you’ll love the flavors in this turkey burger topped with a broccoli slaw tossed with blue cheese yogurt dressing.
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 1.25 lbs lean ground turkey
- 2/3 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup Franks Hot Sauce
- salt and fresh pepper
- oil spray
- 5 slices reduced fat cheddar
- 5 whole light burger buns
- In a medium bowl combine broccoli slaw and blue cheese dressing. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, carrots, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Makes 5 equal patties, 5.5 oz each.
- Cook on one side until browned 4-5 minutes, then flip. Cook another 4 minutes or until burgers are cooked all the way through (keep heat medium-low to prevent burning); top with cheese and place on a toasted burger buns topped with broccoli slaw.
Make the burgers ahead of time and chill in the fridge for half an hour. That will help them stay together better when cooking.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 5
Recipe: Chili-Cheese Black Bean Enchiladas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12-ounces ground buffalo (or turkey or lean beef)
- 3/4 cup bottled salsa
- 1/3 cup (3 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add ground buffalo, onion, and sauté 4 minutes or until meat is browned. Stir in cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic, beans and cook 2 minutes, stirring mixture frequently.
- Stir in salsa, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, and add cream cheese and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spread 1/3 cup enchilada sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/3 cup black bean mixture down center of each tortilla, and roll up. Arrange enchiladas, seam sides down, crosswise in dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce evenly over enchiladas, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Inspired By: Chili Cheese Black Bean Enchiladas
Recipe: Greek Bison Burgers
Feta and spinach not only add great flavor to these Greek-inspired burgers, but also provide moisture and texture to lean ground bison. The yogurt sauce is a perfect condiment, with much less fat than regular mayonnaise.
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1/2 cup cooked spinach, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably sheep’s-milk
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat Greek-style plain yogurt, (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Bun & Toppings
- 4 French rolls, or 4-inch pieces of baguette, preferably whole-wheat, split and toasted
- 16 thin slices English cucumber
- 8 slices vine-ripened tomato
- 4 thin round slices red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place bison, spinach, feta, 2 teaspoons dill, oregano, cumin, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large mixing bowl. Gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 oval-shaped patties roughly the size of the rolls.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip, below). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 155°F, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- To prepare yogurt sauce: Combine yogurt, lemon zest and juice, 1 teaspoon dill and mint in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Assemble the burgers on rolls with the yogurt sauce, cucumber, tomato and onion.
Cooking time (duration): 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe: Meatloaf Muffins
- 1 pound ground buffalo (or lean beef)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 ribs celery from the heart of the stalk, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large egg plus a splash of milk, beaten
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 1 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put ground turkey and buffalo into a big bowl. Put onion and celery into a food processor. Cut the bell pepper in half, rip out the seeds and throw them into your garbage bowl. Cut the pepper into a few pieces and add to the food processor. Pulse the processor blades to finely chop the vegetables into very small pieces then add them to the meat bowl. Add egg, beaten with milk, bread crumbs and grill seasoning to the bowl. Next, mix together the smoky barbecue sauce, the salsa and the Worcestershire sauce. Pour half the sauce mixture into the bowl with the meatloaf mix. Mix the meatloaf together with your hands. Wash up. Brush a 12-muffin tin (1/2-cup each) with vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil. Use an ice cream scoop to help you fill meat into a each tin. Top each meat loaf with a spoonful of extra sauce. Bake about 20 minutes. Cut open 1 muffin to test that the middle is cooked through.
Cooking time (duration): 30 min
Inspired By: Meatloaf Muffins with Barbecue Sauce