Posts tagged bbq
Recipe: BBQ Chicken Drummies
These drummies are sweet, tangy, and messy. Just don’t let your kid wear a white shirt while eating them!
- 1/2 C orange juice
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbs dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3-4 lbs skinless chicken drummies
- Mix together all ingredients except chicken in a medium bowl. Combine with chicken either in a gallon ziploc bag or a covered nonporous dish. Allow to marinate anywhere between 2 and 24 hours.
- Place drummies in a broiler pan, covering with any leftover marinade. Cook under broiler for 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through. Don’t expect leftovers!
Recipe: Dinosaur BBQ Macaroni & Cheese Shepard’s Pie
Another fantastic recipe from the Dinosaur BBQ! This one combines two favorite comfort foods in one dish- what could be bad about that?
- 3 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 pound small pasta shells
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1¼ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- ¾ cup Dinosaur BBQ Sensuous Slathering Sauce
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2½ cups half-and-half, OR milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add two tablespoons of salt and stir in the pasta shells. Cook until al dente, drain and set aside.
- THROW a skillet on medium heat and swirl in the vegetable oil. Add half the onions and half the peppers, cooking them until soft. Toss in the garlic and cook for one minute more. Dump in the ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon, and cook it with the veggies until it loses it’s pinkness. Season with 1½ teaspoons each of the salt and pepper. Mix in the BBQ sauce and remove pan from heat.
- MELT the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and fry up the rest of the onions and the peppers until soft. Add the flour and whisk like crazy til very well blended. Slowly dribble in the half and half or milk, whisking as you go. When the mixture bubbles and thickens, remove it from the heat. Stir in two cups of the Cheddar, the Parmigiano-Reggiano, mustard, and the remaining 1½ teaspoons each of salt and pepper. Spice the sauce up with Tabasco to your liking. Stir til the cheeses are melted, then fold the cheese sauce in to the pasta shells and set aside.
- GREASE up a 9×13” baking pan. Spread the ground beef mixture in the pan, and then spread the mac’n’cheese over it. Top everything with the last cup of cheddar and pop it in preheated oven to bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the cheese sauce bubbles. Let the dish rest 15 minutes before serving if people can wait that long to eat it.
I strongly recommend that you use Dinosaur BBQ Sensuous Slathering Sauce for the BBQ Sauce. It’s one of the best BBQ sauces out there, made with real sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup and it’s low in sodium (for BBQ sauce).
Number of servings (yield): 8
Inspired By: Dinosaur BBQ Macaroni & Cheese Shepard’s Pie
Recipe: Simple Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Trim the fat cap from the pork butt and trim any other large areas of external fat.
- Place the pork butt in the slow cooker. Pour bottle of beer over pork butt.
- Cook on low, 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker. Discard liquid. Shred pork butt and mix with bottle of BBQ Sauce.
The are several ways to sever pulled pork. Pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw on top (or on the side) are great. So are pulled pork tacos and pulled pork pizza.
Recipe: Meatloaf Muffins
- 1 pound ground buffalo (or lean beef)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 2 ribs celery from the heart of the stalk, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large egg plus a splash of milk, beaten
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 1 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put ground turkey and buffalo into a big bowl. Put onion and celery into a food processor. Cut the bell pepper in half, rip out the seeds and throw them into your garbage bowl. Cut the pepper into a few pieces and add to the food processor. Pulse the processor blades to finely chop the vegetables into very small pieces then add them to the meat bowl. Add egg, beaten with milk, bread crumbs and grill seasoning to the bowl. Next, mix together the smoky barbecue sauce, the salsa and the Worcestershire sauce. Pour half the sauce mixture into the bowl with the meatloaf mix. Mix the meatloaf together with your hands. Wash up. Brush a 12-muffin tin (1/2-cup each) with vegetable oil or extra-virgin olive oil. Use an ice cream scoop to help you fill meat into a each tin. Top each meat loaf with a spoonful of extra sauce. Bake about 20 minutes. Cut open 1 muffin to test that the middle is cooked through.
Cooking time (duration): 30 min
Inspired By: Meatloaf Muffins with Barbecue Sauce