Recipe: Quick Shrimp and Sausage Paella
- 1 can Mexican style tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 1/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large pinch saffron
- 1 package (14-16 oz) smoked turkey sausage, halved and sliced
- 12 ounces peeled and deviened raw shrimp (21-25 per pound)
- 1 package (9 oz) frozen green peas
- lemon slices
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice, tomatoes, broth, and spices. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, sausage, and peas. Cover and cook until shrimp is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest, covered, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more. Serve with lemon slices
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4