Saffron Fregola with Seafood
Recipe: Saffron Fregola with Seafood
Fregola is a type of pasta from the Italian island of Sardinia, but you can easily substitute the more common Israeli couscous. Serve this hearty stew with a refreshing butter lettuce and pear salad and plenty of crusty bread for dipping.
- 1 tsp. saffron threads
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lb. medium sea scallops, tough muscles removed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup fregola or Israeli couscous
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb. clams, scrubbed
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Crush the saffron in a small bowl and add the wine. Set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet over high heat, spray with cooking spray. When the skillet is very hot, add the shrimp and sear for 1 minute per side (do not cook all the way through). Transfer to a bowl. Add the scallops and sear for 1 minute per side, also without cooking all the way through. Transfer to the bowl with the shrimp.
- In a large, heavy pot over high heat add 1 Tbs. olive oil, the onion and garlic to the pot and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the saffron mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the fregola and stir to combine, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the clams, discarding any that do not close to the touch. Cover the pot tightly and steam for 3 minutes. Remove the lid and quickly add the shrimp and scallops. Cover the pot tightly again and continue to cook just until the clams open and the shrimp and scallops are cooked through, about 3 minutes. Discard any clams that failed to open. Ladle the stew into warmed bowls, sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Inspired By: Saffron Fregola with Seafood