Seafood Chowder Casserole
Recipe: Seafood Chowder Casserole
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced leeks, rinsed (about 2 small)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 large white potatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups clam juice
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound raw shrimp (21-25 count), peeled, deveined and chopped (about 2 cups; see Tips)
- 12 ounces diced cod (see Tips) or other firm white fish
- 8 ounces scallops, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried, divided
- 1/2 cup coarse whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tips)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch or 6 individual ramakins with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leeks and celery and cook, stirring often, until the leeks are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in potatoes, clam juice, 1 teaspoon Old Bay and pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the potatoes are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Whisk milk, flour and mustard in a measuring cup. Stir into the potato mixture, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Stir in shrimp and fish and return to a simmer, stirring often; cook until the seafood is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in crab, 1 1/2 cups Gruyère and half the dill.
- Transfer the seafood mixture to the prepared baking dish. Mix breadcrumbs with the remaining 1 teaspoon each oil and Old Bay. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup Gruyère and the remaining dill. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the casserole.
- Bake the casserole until it is bubbling and golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s) 40 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Inspired By: Seafood Chowder Casserole