Recipe: Sausage Gumbo
Just the essential ingredients in this rendition of the hearty Creole favorite: sausage, okra, rice and a little spice.
- 12-16 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links, removed from casings
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 16 oz frozen chopped okra
- 3/4 cup instant brown rice
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced (optional)
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl lined.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring to coat the vegetables, until the flour browns, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Return the sausage to the pan, along with okra and rice; reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the okra is heated through and the rice is tender, about 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with sliced scallions, if using.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Inspired By: Sausage Gumbo
Amount per Serving
Calories from Fat 51.4