Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherds Pie
Recipe: Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherds Pie
For the potatoes:
- 1-1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
For the filling:
- 1 lb 95% lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 parsnip, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
- 10 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Boil sweet potatoes and garlic in a pot of salted water until cooked and soft. Drain and mash with chicken broth, sour cream, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large saute pan brown turkey; season with salt and pepper. When cooked, set aside on a plate. Add olive oil to the pan, then add the onion and sauté one minute. Add the celery, parsnip, salt and pepper to taste; cook about 12 minutes, until celery is soft.
- Add garlic and mushrooms; sauté another 3-4 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and mix well. Add frozen vegetables, chicken broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, cooked turkey, and mix well. Simmer on low about 5-10 minutes.
- In 6 oven safe individual dishes spread 1 cup of the meat mixture on the bottom of each dish. Top each with 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes. Use a fork to scrape the top of the potatoes to make ridges; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 20 minutes or until potatoes turn golden. Remove from oven and let it cool 10 minutes before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Inspired By: Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherds Pie