Recipe: Sausage and Bean Soup with Pasta
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, or any small pasta
- grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional)
- In a large pot, brown the sausage. Remove from pot. If there is a lot of fat left in the pot, pour this out but do not wipe out pot.
- Add onion, carrot and olive oil and saute for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and saute about a minute more.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, thyme, bay leaf, some salt and pepper, the drained beans and the sausage and cover the pot.
- Cook for an hour over low heat, at a gentle simmer.
- Add the pasta and cook, uncovered, until the pasta is tender. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick for your liking, you can add more chicken broth.
- Serve with grated cheese on top.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Inspired By: Sausage and Bean Soup with Pasta