Recipe: Maple-Cardamom Glazed Salmon
The syrup and spice make a deliciously complex coat for the fish — the glaze strikes a chord between sweet and savory, with smoky paprika and cayenne pepper adding a hit of heat.
- 24 ounce salmon filet
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a small bowl combine maple syrup, cardamom, paprika, cayenne and a bit of freshly ground pepper. Whisk until mixture is smooth. Adjust to taste.
- Arrange salmon filet on a cutting board. Remove the bones (if your fishmonger hasn’t already) and cut into pieces, size as preferred. Brush syrup mixture evenly over the salmon filets. Place a large cast iron skillet into the oven and allow it to heat up for about five minutes while the salmon rests.
- Place the salmon in the preheated skillet (scale-side down) and cook for about 10 minutes. Brush more glaze onto the salmon and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until the salmon is cooked to your liking. This can also be cooked on a foil lined sheet pan for easier cleanup.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4