Simple Red Wine-Braised Short Ribs
Recipe: Simple Red Wine-Braised Short Ribs
- 12 short ribs (about 3½ pounds)
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into medium dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsps. dried thyme leaves
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 1½ cups each: red wine and chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- Adjust rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss short ribs evenly with oil and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile heat a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium-high heat. Working in two batches to avoid overcrowding, add short ribs to hot pan. Cook each batch, turning only once, until well-browned on each side, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan. Add onion; sauté until lightly brown and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme, sauté until fragrant, about a minute. Stir in flour, then wine, followed by chicken broth and tomatoes. Return short ribs to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Place a sheet of heavy-duty foil over pot. Use a potholder to press down foil so that it touches stew. Seal foil completely around edges. Place lid snugly on pot. Place pot in oven and cook until ribs are fall-off-the- bone tender, about 1½ hours.
These go very well with Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Thyme.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Inspired By: Simple Red Wine-Braised Short Ribs
Per serving: 348 calories, 11g carbohydrates, 28g protein, 16g fat (6g saturated), 64mg cholesterol, 2g dietary fiber, 302mg sodium