Chicken and Root Vegetable Potpie
Recipe: Chicken and Root Vegetable Potpie
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled celeriac (celery root)
- 1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices parsnip
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces), divided
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add peas and next 5 ingredients (through onions) to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes. Add chicken; cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken and vegetables from broth with a slotted spoon; place in a large bowl.
- Increase heat to medium. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place all but 1 tablespoon flour in a medium bowl; gradually add milk to bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broth; cook for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken mixture, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper. Spoon mixture into an 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon flour on a work surface; roll dough into a 14 x 10-inch rectangle. Place dough over chicken mixture, pressing to seal at edges of dish. Cut small slits into dough to allow steam to escape; coat dough lightly with cooking spray. Place dish on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 16 minutes or until pastry is browned and filling is bubbly.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Inspired By: Chicken and Root Vegetable Potpie
Amount per serving
Calories from fat: 30%
Saturated fat: 2g
Monounsaturated fat: 3g
Polyunsaturated fat: 7.1g