Vegetable Lasagna with Red Pepper Sauce
Recipe: Vegetable Lasagna with Red Pepper Sauce
This meatless lasagna recipe is bursting with fresh vegetable flavor. Zucchini, mushrooms, and chopped onions are all layered between lasagna noodles and cheese. The red pepper sauce brings all those flavors together.
- 6 no-boil lasagna noodles or regular lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved and sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup fat-free or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 recipe Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- If using, cook the regular noodles according to package directions (omit salt). No-boil noodles do not need to be pre-soaked, but make sure that the sauce covers them completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook and stir zucchini or yellow summer squash, mushrooms, and onion in hot oil over medium heat for 6 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Drain well.
- In a small bowl stir together ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. To assemble, place 3 lasagna noodles in a 2-quart square baking dish, trimming to fit as necessary. Top with ricotta mixture, half of the vegetable mixture, half of the Red Pepper Sauce, and half of the mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining lasagna noodles, vegetables, and sauce.
- Bake lasagna, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and the tomato; bake 5 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Red Pepper Sauce
- In a large skillet cook 3 cups chopped red sweet peppers and 4 whole cloves garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Or, you may use one 12-ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained. Omit cooking step.) Place pepper mixture in a blender container. Cover; blend until nearly smooth. Add 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed. Cover; blend with several on-off turns until oregano is just chopped and mixture is nearly smooth. Return to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Makes about 2 cups.
Tip: If you are in a hurry, substitute 2 cups of jarred spaghetti sauce. The red pepper sauce can be made ahead and frozen or purchased pre-made from Wegmans (in the prepared foods section).
Cooking time (duration): 55 min
Number of servings (yield): 6
Inspired By: Better Homes & Gardens Low-Fat & Luscious Italian
Calories: 249; Total Fat: 9 g; Saturated Fat: 3 g; Cholesterol: 18 mg; Sodium 292 mg; Carbohydrates: 28 g; Fiber: 3 g; Protein: 17 g