Recipe: Mayo-Free Coleslaw
This coleslaw has a fresh, tangy taste and is free of most common allergens.
- 2 bags coleslaw mix (or 2 lbs shredded green & purple cabbage with a little shredded carrot)
- 1 finely sliced bell pepper
- 1 cup vinegar (splash of balsamic and the rest cider vinegar)
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian-style seasoning
- 1 tsp celery seed or celery salt (if using celery salt, reduce the amount of salt a bit)
- 1/3 cup sugar (helps cut the gassiness)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- Bring the vinegar to a boil, then mix with oil, sugar, and spices.
- In a large bowl, mix the hot vinegar/oil mixture with the cabbage mix, until well coated.
- Put in a sealed container, and chill for a few hours.
Inspired By: Cole Slaw without Mayo