Garlic Scape Pesto
Recipe: Garlic Scape Pesto
This year we received garlic scapes from our farm share and we had no idea what to do with them. They make a great pesto which is good on pasta or as a bread dip, but my favorite is as a pizza sauce.
- 2 cups garlic scapes, chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cups pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- Place the the scapes, parmesan, oil, salt, pepper and nuts into a blender.
- Pulse to chop and mix ingredients. Stop slightly before desired consistency.
- Sample and adjust ingredients to your tastes. Extra oil can be added to create a thinner pesto.
- Store pesto in refrigerator with plastic wrap touching pesto to slow down oxidation. Pesto will last for a couple days in the refrigerator or may be frozen for a couple months.
A food processor may also be used, but I find a blender easier and less likely to leak and create a mess.
Cooking time (duration): 15 min
Inspired By: Garlic Scape Pesto