Chicken-Fried Steak & Gravy
Recipe: Chicken-Fried Steak & Gravy
Can you really make a chicken-fried steak that isn’t loaded with saturated fat and salt? Absolutely. We skip the deep frying, but with rich country gravy as consolation, you won’t miss it. Our pan-fried, crispy cube steak has less than one-third of the fat and about 80 percent less sodium.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound cube steak, cut into 4 portions
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place all-purpose flour on a large plate. Place egg whites in a shallow dish. Whisk cornmeal, whole-wheat flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch and paprika in another shallow dish. Season both sides of steak with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Dredge the steak in the flour, shaking off excess; dip in the egg whites, then dredge in the cornmeal mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add 2 pieces of the steak; cook until browned on both sides, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes total. Transfer the steak to the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 pieces of steak. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add broth to the pan and boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1 cup, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk water and the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in half-and-half; season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Serve the steak topped with the gravy.
Cooking time (duration): 35 min
Number of servings (yield): 4
Inspired By: Chicken-Fried Steak & Gravy
Each serving: 315 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 57 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 33 g protein; 1 g fiber; 312 mg sodium; 379 mg potassium.