Swiss Chard Spanakopita Casserole
Recipe: Swiss Chard Spanakopita Casserole
This is a casserole version of the classic individual pastries. It’s much quicker to assemble with less fuss, and it’s just as tasty.
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/4 cups minced white onion
- 3/4 cup minced green onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9 cups chopped trimmed Swiss chard (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large egg whites
- 12 (9 x 14-inch) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add white onion; sauté 7 minutes or until golden. Add green onions and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in chard; cook until chard wilts. If your skillet it too small, add chard in batches and cover, adding more chard as the chard in the skillet reduces. Stir in parsley and mint, and cook 1 minute. Place in a large bowl; cool slightly. Stir in cheeses, salt, pepper, and egg whites.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet in 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray and coat with cooking spray. Top with 1 phyllo sheet, and coat with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with 4 additional sheets.
- Spread the chard mixture evenly over phyllo.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet over chard mixture and coat with cooking spray. Top with 1 phyllo sheet, and coat with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo sheets. Coat with cooking spray. Score phyllo by making 2 lengthwise cuts and 3 crosswise cuts to form 12 rectangles. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden.
Note: Cut the phyllo stacks so they fit in and up the long side of the baking dish. Arrange folded section against short edges of dish to encase filling.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Inspired By: Swiss Chard Spanakopita Casserole
Per serving: Calories: 121 (35% from fat) Fat: 4.7g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.3g) Protein: 6.1g Carbohydrate: 13.6g Fiber: 1.6g Cholesterol: 14mg Iron: 1.3mg Sodium: 449mg Calcium: 134mg