Grilled Beef Tenderloin & Escarole
Recipe: Grilled Beef Tenderloin & Escarole
Lightly grilled escarole combined with tangy tomato vinaigrette makes an irresistible accompaniment to juicy beef tenderloin. Serve with grilled baguette.
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large heads escarole or romaine lettuce, outermost leaves removed
- 1 pound beef tenderloin (filet mignon) or sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into 4 steaks, 1-1 1/2 inches thick
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place tomatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, vinegar, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor or blender; pulse until coarsely chopped. Set aside. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic in another small bowl.
- Leaving the root ends intact, cut escarole (or romaine) heads into quarters (the root will keep the leaves from falling apart); brush the cut sides with the garlic-oil mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Season both sides of steak with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pat the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan onto both sides of the steak.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the escarole (or romaine), turning occasionally, until the inner leaves have softened and the outer leaves have begun to char, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board to cool. Grill the steaks, turning once, until desired doneness, 8 to 12 minutes total for medium.
- Cut the root ends off the escarole (or romaine) and discard. Chop the leaves into bite-size pieces. Serve the steak and grilled greens drizzled with the reserved tomato vinaigrette.
Cooking time (duration): 30
Number of servings (yield): 4
Inspired By: Grilled Beef Tenderloin & Escarole
Per serving: 302 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 8 g fiber; 601 mg sodium; 1299 mg potassium.