Recipe: Chicken Saltimbocca with Escarole and Beans
- 4 (7 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp sage leaves, chiffonade cut (fine strips)
- 4 thin slices Prosciutto
- Searing Flour (flour, salt, pepper mixture)
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 large cloves Peeled Garlic, minced
- 1 bag chopped escarole (about 1 lb)
- 1 can (15.5 oz) Cannellini Beans, undrained
- 1 cup Chicken Culinary Stock
- 1 lb broccoli crowns, cut into large pieces, stems attached
- 4 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
- Place chicken breasts, smooth side up in a plastic food storage bag. Put 1/4 sage leaves and 1 slice prosciutto atop each breast. Pound both sides of breast with meat tenderizer mallet to even thickness (about 1/4 inch). (For best results, start in center, pounding outwards.) Pepper to taste; dust with pan-searing flour.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH until oil begins to faintly smoke. Add chicken. When edges begin to change color turn. Continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, 5-8 min. Check by inserting thermometer half way into thickest part. Remove chicken to platter.
- Reduce heat to MEDIUM; add remaining olive oil to pan. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add escarole, beans and broth, salt and pepper to taste. Cover; cook 3 min to wilt escarole.
- Uncover; cook 10 min, stirring occasionally (it will be soupy). While this is cooking, blanch broccoli in boiling salted water, until crisp tender, 3-4 min. Drain; keep warm. Return chicken to skillet on top of greens. Allow chicken to warm
- Arrange broccoli on platter. Top with greens, beans and chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
This dish is slightly time consuming the first few times that you make.
Cooking time (duration): 50 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4 – 6
Inspired By: Chicken Saltimbocca with Escarole and Beans
Each serving (5 oz chicken, 1 cup beans & greens, 1/2 cup broc) contains 510 calories, 30 g carbohydrate, (13 g fiber), 57 g protein, 19 g fat, (5 g saturated fat), 135 mg cholesterol, and 1030 mg sodium.